Friday, March 23, 2012

Turkey Taco Quinoa Stew

I originally wrote this in February...and was so proud because I was going to post up two entries in a week!...and then life kicked in. I'm really sorry >.<

But!!! - in order to make up for my sporadic posts, I have decided to post up one of my favorite dishes. It's not new to me, but it's really just so delicious that I had to share.

The original recipe from greenlitebites.com was so great that I mostly only changed the addition of cheese (because you really don't need it in the stew). I changed the proportions of the other ingredients based on personal preference and replaced some ingredients based on what I had on hand...no big differences but still, enjoy!

Turkey Taco Quinoa Stew - Serves 6


Ingredients:

1/2 lb Ground Turkey
1 package of taco seasoning
2-3 tbsp of canola oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 medium zucchini, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup of Quinoa, rinsed
1 14oz to 15 oz can of chicken broth
1 14oz to 15 oz can of black beans
1 14oz to 15 oz can of diced tomatoes with jalepeƱos

Directions:
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium to medium-high heat. Brown onions and turkey until turkey is no longer pink.
2. Add zucchini, bell pepper, and taco seasoning to pot, stirring ingredients until seasoning is evenly distributed.
3. Add chicken broth, black beans, tomatoes, and quinoa to pot. For a wetter stew, fill tomato can with water, swirl, and dump contents into pot as well.
4. Stir to evenly distribute ingredients, bring to a boil, then cover and let simmer for about 20 minutes (until quinoa soaks up most of the liquid...or until you can see the sprouts from the quinoa). You might want to stir up the bottom once or twice to keep the quinoa from sticking to the bottom and burning.
5. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Lol honestly I think that this recipe would work with tofu considering the myriad of flavours present.

      Delete